NO "DIS" RESPECT
You likely know what it means to DIS (DISS) someone. Dis is a shortened version of the word Disrespect.
Disrespect can hurt you and others. Often disrespect is a form of discrimination against someone who is different from you or who has less power than you.
Be the Change - Organizing against Racism and Hate Forum
In May of 2010 a Youth Forum was held at the University of British Columbia Okanagan Campus. Eighty seven youth aged from 14 to 17 yrs attended.
Here are some of the comments:
- International kids do not get talked to or accepted into groups at school.
- Asians in our school are called “Asian Nerds”.
- There is discrimination in our school for kids who have blond or red hair.
- People from the Middle East are labeled as terrorists.
- Our school is really friendly, so if racism is brought up, it is only used as a joke.
- A lot of kids are really rude and they bully First Nations kids.
- We laugh at kids that are not too smart.
- Stereotyping is more prominent than racism.
- There is mutual racism between the white and First Nations kids.
- Kids say “That’s so Gay” or “Your So Gay” or “Fags”.
- Racism around sexual orientation is bigger than racism around race.
- No inclusion among First Nations People.
- Kids are learning to be racist in their home from their parents.
- Students need to speak out – tell people that racism is wrong – stand up and try to stop it.
- Start informing younger kids about racism.
- Increase the amount of exchange students so we can experience other cultures more.
Need events at school such as:
- Anti racism discussion groups.
- Assemblies /education about the issues.
- Have school events that welcome everyone in the school.
- Post posters in the school.
- Anti-racism clubs in school/ help to make friends with international students.
- Anti-Racism Day/Multicultural Days.
- Kids need to become part of the solution.
- Have a school program that welcomes exchange students.
- Try to become friends with an exchange student – that will help the racism
- Teachers and Principals need to be brought to attention right away if racism is exposed so it can be stopped right away
HOW WILL YOU BE THE CHANGE?
TAKE THE RESPECT CHALLENGE TODAY AND DECIDE WHAT YOUTH CAN DO!